If you’re a parent you know all too well about the unique challenges that come with raising a toddler. Like when the little tyke wants to chow down on a whole apple, but they still can’t grasp the concept of not eating the seeds. The natural step would be to put safeguards in place like cutting the apple. But you know that would create a massive tantrum because slicing an apple in their little eyes is the end of the world.
Well, those problems aren’t left at the kitchen table when you’re a valued added reseller (VAR) or managed service provider (MSP). Now, you just go to work and deal with customers that want a guaranteed quality of service (QoS) without paying for an intelligent edge solution that will safeguard their communications.
We’re not calling customers toddlers, but there are some parallels. Oftentimes companies that don’t want intelligent edge solutions are small, lack technical expertise, and don’t have the budget for an enterprise-level offering.
Two of the biggest reasons customers fight adding on intelligent edges are:
- Cost – Instead of spending the money now, they would rather just take the risk and pay for any issues that arise.
- Lack of Awareness – They don’t really understand that most communications these days are open to IP, and without management, it keeps their network open to attack. Plus, they don’t have a solid foundation of what intelligent edges actually do.
Changing the Narrative
For the toddler, you can’t just cut the apple and say you did it so their tummies don’t hurt. Instead, you might try to pique their interest by asking if they want to see what the inside of the apple looks like. Then explain what the seeds do and ask if they want to help throw the inedible part in the trash.
VARs and MSPs have that same power to shift the narrative so that customers are more receptive to adopting intelligent edges. In the end, it’s a win-win for both QoS at the customer site and management of communications on the back-end.
Instead of saying, “you need this with your solution,” try:
- Explaining what intelligent edges do.
- Painting a picture of network threats like distributed denial of service attacks and toll fraud.
- Showing numbers on how intelligent edges are affordable and can actually save money in the long run that would otherwise be spent during downtime or cleanup of an attack.
The Argument for Intelligent Edges
Intelligent edge solutions include IP-to-IP session border controllers and multi-service gateways that are appropriate for businesses of all sizes to protect communications and ensure QoS.
Intelligent edges also:
- Help keep connectivity, which is essential to business continuity.
- Keep IP packets moving with prioritization and traffic management.
- Provide a way to easily manage updates that protect against the regular cadence of new attacks.
- Send alerts on abnormalities so that countermeasures can be immediately implemented, stopping attacks and reducing possible damage.
- Interoperate multiple telephony platforms so that dropped calls are never an issue.
- Prioritize emergency calling in the event of a problem.
- Encrypt session traffic to ensure caller privacy.
Size Doesn’t Matter
Even after VARs and MSPs explain the benefits of intelligent edges and what the technology does to protect against today’s looming threats, customers may still be hesitant to allocate budget. As they clutch onto the word “no” and back it up with their limited concurrent calling, there is still hope.
Edgewater Networks has created Cloud2Edge Complete. The new, flexible model ensures that customers of all sizes can benefit from EdgeMarc Intelligent Edges. With an affordable monthly rate, VARs and MSPs can build it into every communications offering to ensure QoS, while also creating a new revenue stream.
To learn more about bringing unprecedented value to your customers, while also making money, read our white paper: Using Network Edge Orchestration to Increase Profits.